20 minutes exercise.
Walking this morning the air was much warmer and hinted at the day to come. The temperature is definitely on the turn towards warmer. Yet the forecast for tomorrow is 40% chance of rain.
The tide was a little further out this morning so the first couple of rock ledges were back to being accessible. The ocean is depositing sand and creating a new beach. I am constantly amazed at how the landscape of the beach is constantly changing.
Yet again today we had the honour of seeing a pod of dolphins out behind the waves. There is something so special about those moments. The surfers were on the beach although a couple of them were a little hesitant after the 17 year old was killed in a shark attack yesterday only 50 kms down the coast.
Then there are the surfers who are more philosophical and see that if they get taken by a shark in the sharks domain that is just how it is supposed to end.
Although it was a grey morning the hint of blue in the water is just lovely. Time for breakfast.
20 minutes learning
My guitar practise was going well this morning until it got cut short (only by a couple of minutes) by a tourist wanting information. Such is the silly season and my role… I will make an effort to tomorrow to find the time to catch up on the little bit that I lost today.
20 minutes reading.
Today it is all about fire updates. Many of you may not have any idea about bush fires and the dynamics of fast moving fires in a wild environment. So just for you I am including the latest update on a fire where it is too late to leave…… Now that is a frightening thought.
BUSHFIRE EMERGENCY WARNING **
UPDATED – 4:50PM
Bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING for southern part of Toodyay in the Shire of Toodyay
Tuesday 30 December 2014 – 4:42 PM
A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING remains for people in the southern part of Toodyay near Salt Valley Road, Challeon Lane, Panorama View, Hoddy Well Road and Sandplain Road in the Shire of Toodyay.
• You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
• Homes in Salt Valley Road are under threat.
• The fire is burning along both sides of Salt Valley Road.
• The bushfire is moving fast in a south easterly direction.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home.
• Spot fires are starting ahead of the fire.
WHAT TO DO:
• It is too late for people in these areas to leave, leaving now would be deadly.
• You need to shelter in your home and actively defend it.
• Go to a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
• Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
• You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
• Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
• If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.
PLACE OF LAST RESORT:
• If you cannot shelter in your home, a safer place you can go to is a local open space, shed, swimming pool, dam or building where you may go to seek shelter from a bushfire.
• This will give you some protection from the effects of a bushfire.
• Take water, woollen blankets and wear protective clothing.
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Clackline-Toodyay Road, Hoddy Well Road, Salt Valley Road, Chitty Road and Refractory Road in the Shire of Toodyay.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching the area and conditions are changing.
• You need to leave or get ready to actively defend.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• Do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in the area south east of Great Eastern Highway, between Chitty Road and Spencers Brook Road in the Shire of Toodyay.
Although there is no immediate danger for people in these areas you need to be aware and keep up to date.
WHAT TO DO:
• Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
• Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
• Read through your bushfire survival plan.
• If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
If you are outside the area, a temporary welfare centre has been set up at the Toodyay Town Hall.
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Toodyay Road between Lovers Lane and Lloyd Crossing
• Clackline-Toodyay Road between Salt Valley Road and Eadine Road
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au or the Shire of Toodyay.
Western Power advises that the bushfire has affected the electricity supply for customers in the Shire of Toodyay.
The most affected areas are Toodyay, Hoddys Well and Morangup.
For information on power interruptions, please visit Western Power’s website http://www.westernpower.com.au/
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Approximately 100 firefighters are actively fighting the fire and protecting assets in the area.
• The fire was reported at 1.37pm today and approximately 140 hectares have been burnt.
• DFES is now managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter @dfes_wa, listen to ABC local radio, or news bulletins.
Sending thoughts of safety and light to those at risk. May they be protected. love and calm. Ali xxx